Skip to content

Goal weight, photos, and undergrowing your closet

October 23, 2012
Photo by Calliope

Fact: I’m currently below my goal weight.

Fact: I am more muscular and my body is a little different than the last time I was at this weight and clothing size.

Fact: I saw a bunch of pictures of me recently and hated them. Hated them to the point I didn’t see any of the loss or improvements over the past 18 months. Poof. Gone. In a few pictures. (Let me be clear: it was definitely *not* the photographer’s fault, but wholly mine).

It’s funny how the wrong clothes and the wrong hair can do that to you. I’ve already made an appointment for Thursday’s haircut but the clothes will take a bit longer to fix.

Photo by Calliope

I have fit myself into a few pieces of clothing which I used to wear “before” – some may call them “skinny clothes,” even. I can fit into them again, but the look isn’t right – my body’s changed, they’ve changed, and it’s just not working anymore. I had kept a pair of jeans at the bottom of my closet which I bought when I first moved to Italy in 2003. I loved those pants, I felt they had some magical powers, and when I couldn’t fit into them anymore, I was sad and I kept them around for a hopeful “after” day. That came pretty quick – first I was able to zip them up again, later I didn’t have any “muffin top” issues, and finally I looked at myself in the mirror and said, ‘You can fit into them – great! But they look terrible. Throw them away.’ I took a picture to remember and donated them the next day.

As I’ve lost weight, I’ve accepted a lot of great free clothes from friends who also are losing weight and rightfully so want to give away clothes which they paid a lot of money for. I tried to get good use out of them “on my way down” and haven’t been buying much new clothing. I’ve been patchwork putting my current wardrobe together, and the majority of my closet is still full of clothing I fit into 10 or 20 pounds ago (I threw most of the stuff which was bigger away already).

So I have a full closet. But very little to wear.

Perhaps part of this is psychological and me thinking it’s a smart idea to keep around some larger clothing and try to fit into older clothing I kept around, but those pictures are reminding me it’s a bad idea. Last summer I bought a pair of jeans, and inherited a pair from a friend. I made those last the winter with some other ill-fitting, but not falling down, pairs of pants. Now last year’s pair doesn’t fit at all and have slid into “terrible.”

I hit a wall two weeks ago when I conveniently found myself in London. I had just gotten a coffee to start my morning and passed a store I wanted to go in later that day after my work day was over. To my surprise, it was already open. At 8:03am. I love London. I ended up buying 4 pairs of jeans from them in about 20 minutes, and the price was so good, I could have bought more.

So now, I have jeans which fit.

It’s up to me to fix the rest of my closet.

It’s too bad Style for Hire is only in the US – I could use a personal shopper here in Milan :)

About these ads
8 Comments leave one →
  1. October 23, 2012 5:14 pm

I really liked this post. Of course it makes me wonder if I should be bothering to save my old “skinny” clothes…..Thanks for sharing.

• October 23, 2012 11:11 pm

I know, tough decision, right? I have been saving a few things still but mainly very expensive dresses and slacks…but I think they’ll be the next to go. Hopefully I can donate them to someone else who needs good clothes as I hate putting clothes in an anonymous bag.

2. October 27, 2012 7:33 am

Oh Sara, you took my thoughts and put them into words. I, too, have lost weight (Rome has been good for me!) and while I can wear items that I’d been holding onto hopefully, now some of them look “wrong.” And you know the “clown pants syndrome,” where they bag out at the hips? I now know it is better to dump the fat pants and buy something I feel GREAT in. Otherwise it is a close full of clothes and nothing to wear. Great line!

• October 27, 2012 10:33 am

@Laurel – clown pants syndrome is definitely a problem, but at least it’s curable :)

3. Joan Rundo permalink
    October 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi Sara,
    I lost weight (a lot: 20 kg!) a couple of years ago. yesterday I went to buy a new pair of jeans (I live just outside Milan) and – DISASTER – I couldn’t get into the same size but had to buy 2 sizes up, but, when I measured the two paris together, they wer virtually identical (same brand, same model no. on the label). Don’t feel SOOOO bad now!

• October 29, 2012 11:44 am

@Joan – there’s a whole other rant I should do on vanity sizing :) I think we should just standardize sizes across the world to make it easier for everyone :)

4. October 28, 2012 7:57 pm

I have a pair of jeans from 1997 (when I was 18 or 19). I don’t think I could EVER wear them, but I just keep them as kind of a point of reference. Right now, I couldn’t fit in them, but I like to know that I can use them as a measure of my progress…. lol.

I never thought about it like you phrased it, though. I probably have a lot of clothes in my closet that I won’t wear when I get back down to my goal weight. Yikes!

• October 29, 2012 11:47 am

@Naomi – right, it’s nice to have them as a measure of progress, but when (not if!) you fit back into them, they may have lost some of their amazingness…