Peanut, almond, sunflower seed: nut butters – I love them all!
You can take the American out of America, but you can’t take the American out of her – at least where peanut butter is concerned.
Many people may think nut butter is something to avoid when dieting, but I find it very satisfying and something that I enjoy, so it makes a regular appearance in what I’m eating. It fills me up and I spread it thin on a Wasa cracker with a little jam. It’s also one of things that’s more difficult to find in Italy, so I always stock up when I visit the US. These are the jars I currently have in the house:
- Peanut Butter & Co. : The Heat is On - I went to visit their restaurant in NYC during my trip to NYC last October, and I enjoyed sampling their different flavors (I loved the portable packs). I got The Heat is On flavor which is peanut butter and hot spices, and to be honest, it’s too hot for me. This is coming from someone who has a high tolerance of heat – I eat pepperoncino/hot pepper very often, hot salsa, Thai food, and Indian food don’t phase me. But it’s just too hot. I eat it sparingly with some jam.
- Peanut Butter & Co : The Bee’s Knees – who doesn’t like honey in their peanut butter? I wish there were fewer ingredients in their nut butters (items like palm oil, natural honey flavor, evaporated cane juice I don’t see very necessary)
- Sunbutter organic unsweetened Sunflower Seed Butter – it’s 100% sunflower seeds. Awesome.
- Trader Joe’s Sunflower Seed Butter – I have been eating this for a year or so and I always run out too quickly. Other than sunflower seeds, it has evaporated cane juice and salt, but it’s oh-so-tasty.
- (Save) Natural Peanut Butter – this was actually bought in Italy, in one of the international markets I constantly seek out. It’s 100% peanuts which is amazing to find – most of the peanut butter I find is Skippy (popular in Thailand and Philippines, imported into Italy) and it has transfats and other things I am trying to avoid. I already have another jar in the cupboard when that one runs out.
- Trader Joe’s Valencia Peanut Butter with Roasted Flaxseed –
haven’t opened this yet but looking forward to the crunch– it’s now open and oh, SO good. Crunchy peanut butter and roasted flax seeds is ridiculously awesome together. I am already going to buy another jar on my next trip. I also want to try the almond version.
- Justin Nut Butter – I have a few single-serving packets left but I’m seriously regretting not getting more and/or a larger jar to keep around. My favorite flavor so far is the Almond & Maple Syrup. Delicious.
- Archer Farms Almond, Cashew & Peanut Butter (found at Target) – it was a mix of cashew, almond, peanut….or something like that. The problem is, the mix made the overall taste completely unremarkable. I abandoned the jar while still in the US.